Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I sense that people are starting to get it!

Last night I was at a young married men's Bible study. We are studying If You Want to Walk On Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg. The book focuses on Peter's willingness to walk on the water with Jesus. And last night I sensed people starting to understand what I have been hoping for in my dreams for the church in the future: a missional church. I want to see a missional church, but I have never been sure if others are willing to get on board and get out of their comfortable consumeristic chairs. Last night I saw a glimpse of it.

We were talking about our fears and how evangelism is hard for us and all of a sudden the conversation turned towards mission. One guy asked, "Have you ever wondered if we should continue to do this study on Monday nights? We go to church to focus ourselves on Sunday and Wednesday and we spend time creating community on Monday nights? We are so inwardly focused. Maybe this time weekly should become a time for outreach." That is what I am talking about. That is the message that I couldn't have stated better myself. We continued on for several minutes and it excited me to know there are people wanting more for the church than just letting it be a fortress set apart from the world.

What is the church truly working for? Are we trying to bring others to Christ? Sometimes we think we need to get ourselves better with God before we can really reach others, but we are never going to be right enough to evangelize with that attitude. God calls imperfect, sinful people to get his gospel out. We are called to mission where we are. May this kingdom not just be one of powerful talk but of powerful action.

No comments: