Thursday, September 01, 2005

War In Our Backyard

I can't believe the scenes on the news! I cannot believe them! If I didn't know about Hurricane Katrina, I would swear the scenes all over our news channels are scenes from the Middle East or Africa. As I hear of looting, raping, and setting fires in a time of great need, I cannot imagine that we are talking about a city about 600 miles from where I sit. It is a war zone. Survival of the Fittest. It is a modern day city of Atlantis hanging in the balance. I ask myself, how can people be so callous to need the military to come in and settle things down?

I am taking Systematic Theology right now, which you may think has nothing to do with Katrina, but in a sense, it has everything to do with Katrina. Now is the time more than any other when people are asking ministers to do theology through questions of why and how that are directed at God. So, I ask the question like so many others, "Why, God? Surely if you didn't cause this disaster, you didn't prevent it, which I believe you have the power to do. Why did you not just put your thumb over the broken levees to stop this disaster from growing worse and damaging lives?" And creation moans together in unison, "How long, Oh Lord?"

How can people be so callous that they would loot, rape and pillage a city? But then I say to myself, "Collin, surely you aren't asking this question. Surely, you are much the same when you call yourself and Christian and fail to live up to that name much of the time." I think we only have to look within ourselves to see that we are fallen creatures who seek after things that make God moan in the same way we do about this situation. As David says in Psalm 51, "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." We are all sinners in our inmost being.

Fortunately, we serve a God who offers grace if we only confess our sins and let Jesus' blood cover over them.

God work in your ways that we cannot understand. Work to make good out of something we couldn't dream to make good out of even if we tried. Be with those who will hurt for years and for those who will never recover. Give them your grace as only you can and mourn with us as we mourn for those who need comforting, for you will surely give it to them.

No comments: